Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Roller coaster going back up, up, up . . .

When I got to the U this morning, Bob was sitting up in a chair and a woman was by his side. I introduced myself, she said she was from OT, and that she and Bob had just walked to the bathroom, got washed up and were now just going over a few things he can do to conserve energy, not wear himself out. I just stood and stared at him. Was this the same person I left last night? WTF?!? He looked at me and said, "I wasn't quite expecting you yet . . . we're not quite done."

I said I can come back; I'd brought some magazines to leave in the sitting areas (we've been finding ancient issues here and there—on 7D, Penny found a mag from 1998 . . . ) I could go do that while they finished up. I ran into Caryl, the nursing care coordinator who told me Bob's care conference is going to be a little earlier than expected, and that she'd come let us know where it would be as soon as she found an available room. I called Penny and Jim, who were on the road, just to let them know, and then went back into Bob's room and took a seat on the window ledge.

The OT said she was just going over some things Bob can do to conserve energy. She asked him if she knew what she meant by that. He looked at her with a blank look at said, "What, do you mean insulation, that kind of thing?" Oh god, he's still confused. The OT and I both paused, looking at him with concern. He looked at both of us, gave a little snort and rolled his eyes. "Yes, I know what you mean." She went over the things Bob can do to keep his energy reserves up to capacity, so he doesn't wear himself out. She then asked him if he had seen any doctors today, if he had any updates on his status. He kind of laughed, said he's seen many doctors already. I asked if he heard anything about the MRI done yesterday. "Yes," he said, looking at his hands in his lap. "It was not good news." My heart dropped and I almost didn't want to ask him to explain, but had to. He took a deep breath. "They told me my brain was completely normal. Can you believe that? Normal. All this time, I thought it was exceptional. . ."


Care conference is to converge in about 1/2 hour. Gotta go over our notes. More later.




9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear his sense of humor is back although he shouldn't do that to you :)
    Looking forward to more good news from you
    xoxoxox
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 'bad Bob' for doing that to you, as I'm sure you were on the edge heading into this morning given how he's been. But, it must be comforting to have that Bob warped sense of humor back rather than the discombobulation you've witnessed from him. Please tell him we love him to the moon and will not stop praying, sending strength to him.

    Love you both so much. I'm working from home today, so I'm here if you need me to walk the dogs, stop by, get you food, (I won't say "massage" your back, as you know that's why I teach and not do what Gretchen does--my massages make you more tense), etc.

    xoxoxoxo
    Jill, Jade, and Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother is such a SHIT! But I still had to laugh:)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is the Bob we know and love!!!!!!

    Wally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed, too....after my heart quit pounding....not nice to do to the mother-in-law from St. Peter (jokes inserted here). Love you two.
    Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humor, humor, humor... it's a delightful ray of joy!

    xoxox
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear Bob's sense of humor was in full swing! Hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with Wally. That is the Bob I know !!! Crossing my fingers for you! Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bad Bob! Bad Bob! (Inhale---Exhale) LMAO!!! That lifted my heart. Tell Bob I have a surprise for him. It will be in the mail as soon as I finish it.

    Hugs from Texas!

    ReplyDelete