Friday, August 27, 2010

Three hours down, ??? to go . . .

(Masterpieces to the left created by my "new" niece, Sophi, who brought these to us while waiting in the surgery "lounge")
So, the hospital stay this week was blissfully uneventful to the point of absolute boredom, at times. Well, except for the drug-seeking roomie Bob had yesterday (not kidding. More on him later, if I remember to return to the subject . . .). Lots of just sitting/lying around, with the IV drip of Integrilin (the blood thinner), trying to keep the pain managed, which has been tough. Bob's been experiencing some new numbness near the tumor site, as well as his foot, a recent development. Had some visitors, a few colleagues from the wine biz, a good friend from high school (who came with a Jake's pizza in tow), various and sundry family and friends popping in, dispensing group hugs, kisses, stuffed animals . . .

During a quiet moment in Bob's room, between family, friends and medical personnel visits, Bob wondered aloud, more to himself than to me, "I wonder if after the surgery, I'll have to get around with a walker . . . maybe crutches . . . I think I'd prefer crutches . . ." I thought a walker would be easer, no pain in the armpits, seems like it would be more stable. Bob says, "Yeah, but you really can't use a walker as a weapon. Crutches, now, you could swing them 'round, get some good momentum with 'em, take someone out if you needed to. . . ." huh?! Why the hell would you want to wail on someone with your crutches? "Well, Jen, you never know when someone's gonna come after you. Gotta be prepared." Guess Bob still has a bit of Jack Bauer complex. . . Well, you could use the walker as a battering ram, I offer. "Yeah . . . that's true. Good idea . . . put a big bronze ram's head on it, like the Romans did . . . you know, now that I think about it, I could put lots of different attachments on a walker. Snow plow attachment, mower attachment . . ." Yeah, you could finally start earning your keep around the house again, I say. . . we discuss the possibility of developing this genius idea into an entrepreneurial adventure . . .

Also many visits from all of Bob's doctors while he was in the hospital: orthopedic, colorectal (two), primary care (2 times), oncology . . . everyone just checking in, addressing any last-minute questions concerns, reiterating the procedures, a few just stopping in to say "hi" and wishing Bob well. Bob's surgeons were ecstatic to see how much weight he's gained; the orthopedic doc said that the surgery will take a lot out of him, that he'll likely lose some weight again, so now he has reserves to tap into . . . I think back, two months ago, when he was down to almost 100 lbs. So sick, so weak and emaciated. I still have visions of the concentration camp prisoner when I think of how he looked then. . . skin stretched taut over bone, trembling, barely able to stand, or even hold a glass of water . . . now, other than the pain, he feels really good, has filled out. Everyone notices, everyone comments, everyone astounded with the difference a few months and good nutrition makes. Well, that and being several months recovering from the ravages of chemotherapy . . .

We got a surprise visitor last night! Well, not a surprise to Bob and me (we were in on the secret), but Penny and Jim didn't know that Bob's sister, Nancy, was going to be with us for Bob's surgery. She'd planned this a while back, because she really wanted to be here for Bob during his surgery. She started out from Billings yesterday, calling Penny and Jim from Bismark, ND, roughly the 1/2-way point, to tell them she was on here way to MN. After they got over the initial shock (What?!? You're driving?!? By yourself?! Nancy! was the initial reaction), I know they were very happy (relieved? anxious? excited? All of the above?) to hear she would be here with us. Nance arrived at the hospital early last evening, and got to hang out with Bob for a few hours. We weren't sure if anyone would be able to see Bob prior to surgery in the morning, so Nancy wanted to spend some time with him before the big event.

. . . I got to the U around 5:45 this morning, Penny, Jim and Nancy were following a little later. Bob was still in his room, waiting to be taken to surgery prep. Maybe 1/2 hour later, the gurney arrived to take him down for the big event. I was told that family members were allowed to be with the patient prior to surgery, so I called the others at home and told them if they left right away, they'd be able to make it to see Bob before he was wheeled into the OR. Lots of activity prior to surgery; lots of docs again, in and out of the tiny pre-op room, reiterating their roles, this time some new ones: urology, anesthesiology, others I don't remember . . . Penny, Jim and Nancy were able to spend a few minutes with Bob before they wheeled him off around 7:30, one last kiss, a blessing and a gift for them. Bob seemed amazingly calm all morning, though I can't even begin to know what's going on in his head . . .

We're all hanging out in the surgery lounge, waiting, waiting, waiting. Solitaire, magazines, laptops, books to keep us occupied, though I'm sure no one has read a full sentence, played a full hand. . . my mom, Gretchen, Brian and Sophi joined us for a while . . . I've received one phone call from surgery already saying so far, everything is going very well. The colorectal piece will be at least other couple hours before the orthopedic surgeon steps in to take over . . . still can't wrap my mind around the thoughts that after this day, our lives on hold will resume another, completely, utterly different form . . . sick to my stomach, hard to concentrate, hard to write anything at all, but wanted to try to give an update . . . have been here all morning, quarter to noon already . . . more later . . . xxooxxoo!!!

4 comments:

  1. Bob, Jen, Jim, Penny, Nancy-
    Our thoughts and prayers have been with you all morning and every day leading up to today. I'm so glad Nancy could come for this-you all need to be together during this long time of waiting. I will continue to pray and look forward to your next update. Hugs to all of you.
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jen,
    I have been keeping myself busy this morn, trying to not think obsessively about you and Bob, by typing my 50th Class Reunion information into a template your mom set up for me. I hope I'm not slipping in comments like "I wonder what's happening to Bob right now?", and "I hope Jen is hanging in there", as that's what I keep thinking.

    So obviously I was VERY HAPPY to get your report on SOFA KING! Dave is the one who checked to see if there might be a message. I thought he was checking his email and when he said there was information on Bob, I said "read it to me"! He said "No way it's too long - read it yourself"! So I did ....and I'm SO HAPPY to hear that thus far things are going well.

    The other diversion I have is Ms. Sydney Sjoquist Nelson, Quinn and Elise's dog! I believe you have met her. She is very very good and follows all commands like "Come" "Sit" "Go (away)" "Down". Yesterday I had a few minutes of absolute panic as she seemed to have disappeared. I thought she and taken off and was running home! Katrina finally noticed that she had just sniffed and snuffled down the street and had crossed Douglas. She came back when called, though she did NOT look both ways before crossing the street!

    I've been calling on the angels, asking them for all the help they can give you and Bob and your families.

    I anxiously await your next report!

    Much Love to You and Bob, and Penny & Jim, and Nancy, and all those who wait with you. Auntie Pat XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, let Bob know that I was crossing a street downtown with a guy using a walker and he wailed on a BMW that cut us off in the crosswalk. You can take a mighty swing with one of them! I'll be standing by for the next report and keeping everything crossed that it's all too boring to be of much more substancet than, "Phew! We made it!"

    Carol Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff as usual Jen, and just to let you know the St. Peter crew is sending everything in our power Bob's way!

    I should also add, after your walker/crutches debate... a new nickname for Bob just came to mind...perhaps inspired by Pappa Dewey...We can call him ....

    "Walker, Minnesota Ranger"!

    ReplyDelete