Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fake it till you make it. . .


This is how I get to spend the better part of my Tuesdays and Thursdays, with my dear little nephew, Otto. He is the coolest baby ever, and I can say that with pretty accurate certainty, being the (favorite! ;) auntie of 13 nieces and nephews. NOT that the others aren't cool, awesome, amazing—all of the above, x 100!—because they are, but there is something undefinable about this newest kidlet . . . as a baby, Otto is so full of Zen, so loving, so peaceful, so awe-inspiring, beyond what a beautiful yet simple baby should be able to convey (and let's be real—not many babies are like this, ever,

I have never been in the company of a baby who gazes dreamily into my eyes, for minutes on end. . . an old soul in the heart of an adorable little boy, so evident in his eyes, his spirit. I have a hard time taking my eyes off him, my green-blue eyes gazing deeply back into his own baby green-blues (though I do recall thinking this about each of my nieces and nephews as I held their tiny bodies in my arms). Still, Otto is different. Can't explain it, just different. Not a bad thing, to be different.

And one of the sweetest things he does, is babble, "Bob bob, bob, bob, bo-bo-bo-bob," over and over. Jill swears he never does this anywhere else but at my house, or when I'm around. He often does this while gazing off, beyond my shoulder, or above my head, with the sweetest smile on his face, as though he's talking to someone . . . I like to imagine he sees Bob, is talking to him in a way babies only can, letting me know all is right where Uncle Bob is . . . I truly believe babies see angels, speak to angels, because their little baby spirits are so pure, so untainted by all the shit of life that gets in the way of that which is pure. . . either, that, or Otto thinks my name is "Bob." I'll take the former . . .

I am still "settling" into my new digs in St. Paul. It doesn't feel like home, nothing will feel like home, for a long time, maybe ever. A stranger in a strange land. But, I am inundated with visits/calls/e-mails from friends, near and dear, near and far, old and new, and it definitely has increased in frequency, since I moved closer to the masses, and I embrace it, feel very connected, very loved, if not at times, overwhelmed. Went to the Selby Avenue Jazz Festival with a dear friend a few weeks or so, have had numerous lunches/dinners out with family, friends, even strangers whom I've just met (that isn't as weird as it looks in writing . . .). Walk the dogs endlessly, weaving in and out throughout the blocks that tie the neighborhoods together. . .

Bob's cameras have sat unused for months, and a few days ago, I hopped onto National Camera Exchange's website, to see if they offered any novice photographer's classes. . . saw one that was being held that very night; called my sis, Jill, and after a flurry of conversations/phone calls/craziness, her husband, Jade (who works at NCE), I was signed up for the class. I lugged Bob's beloved backpack, full of camera and lenses, and got my first "real" photography lesson. Elementary as it was, I felt fully enveloped with Bob's spirit, hearing the "technical" insights to all the things that Bob knew, inherently. . .as the instructor explained various techniques, I could picture endless photographs Bob had taken, using the same technique . . .

Next day, I proceeded to snap endless photos of beloved Otto . . . it's going to take me a while to get a "handle" on these intimidating, impressive pieces of photographic equipment, but when I pick them up, I feel Bob reverberating through the metal frame of the camera; I am slowly learning why he chose nature over churches, as religion. And love him even more than ever. And am more sad than ever, with his loss.

(the picture to the right was Bob's last stay at the U, when he had the GI bleed right after Christmas. He was never prone to kissing babies, despite the many nieces and nephews we have. . . love the way Otto leans into Uncle Bob as he kisses. . . )

6 comments:

  1. Wish we lived closer, we would for sure "have lunch" ! Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Buddha baby. I can state to the fact that at the end of august when I was taking care of Otto and Amelia, he did that same soulful gazing at me for at least if not longer than five minutes, and when a smile broke at the corner of my mouth, he smiled at me, closed his eyes and went to sleep.
    There is far more to this life and beyond than we know. Perhaps with Bob's cameras you will experience more realms of that inter connectedness.
    I love both your houses, love what you have done with the new place. It feels like home and Bob's Gallery, Sweet Light, at the same time. There are good spirits and karma there.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob and I are kindred spirits in regards to nature as a place of worship. Back in the day when you used film for such things, I went out west of town to a virgin oak/maple stand with my trusty EOS Rebel. I don't claim to be anything like the photographer Bob was, but I do love trying and it's a good excuse to wander around and crunch leaves and all that. Standing in the middle of this glorious woods, gold and red leaves swirling around me, head tilted back to see them, I could also hear the sermon from a nearby church about how God is truly all around us in our lives. In that space, I kind of knew that one without having to be indoors and having someone tell me. How else do you explain how amazingly beautiful something as simple as a leaf twirling in the breeze can be?
    I also liked my National Camera classes -- if I ever buy a more high-tech digital one, I'd love to take some more of them.
    And I need to wander across the river and see this new haven of yours. Your old one inspired me to go look for old windows at salvage yards and other fun artsy sorts of things. AND, I have a housewarming gift. I saw this thing and it really, truly made me think of you, Bob and some of your stories. I could ship it if your calendar is full if you send a new address. :0)

    Take care, you!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen he is talking to Bob---- it's Bob's way of letting you know he is there watching over you.

    Bernadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    I am just reading this today 9/27/11 and it brings me back to the conversation that you and I had just last Friday about Otto being an old soul and "different". I have only really seen him in pictures though. I believe you are correct in that he sees Bob. Children have that 6th sense, because they have no fear, they accept everything around them. It's only as societies expectations/influences seep in and as we become adults that we begin to shut out and/or fear the unfamiliar. Just my unsolicited opinion. :)
    You new house is adorable and may very well be a vacation home for you, but for now it seems to be a good place for you.
    Glad to hear that you are doing the photography thing! Maybe Jill's hubby will be out of a job when it comes time to do Ian's Sr. portraits ;)
    Speaking of Ian; he wants to come jam on the guitar with you sometime soon.
    Take care!
    xoxoxoxo
    -Jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Ott's been seeing angels since he was born...when we first brought him home from the hospital, he'd look up behind him and smile=always a distinct place. I'd say, "Who are you smiling at? Is Papa Dewey there? Is it Uncle Jon, Jon?" And, now it's "Bob". He first said it so clearly at your house the evening we were there with Penny and Jim and some of your neighbors/friends honoring the day you and Bob got married. On the deck, in his exersaucer, he said so clearly to the trees, to the owls, perhaps to Bob, "Bob". Penny's reaction and your own were startling, I think we all were startled. He had said something all week that sounded like "Bob," and I'd say, "Are you talking to Uncle Bob?" Then, at your place and since then is when he most clearly says "Bob". I believe he sees his guardian angels, knows they're there are through his gaze, smile and "Bob" lets us know they're always with us, not in the way we'd like, but still with us enveloping us with love. Thank you for this beautiful post. I also am so glad you took Bob's photography gear and went to that class, as difficult as it was for you. Another way to feel connected to, closer to Bob.

    Much love always, dear sister.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete