Sunday, October 10, 2010

random thoughts on the day. . .

Spent the better part of the day thinking today was Saturday . . . not that it matters what day it is in our world, just thought it was funny that all day, it was Saturday in my mind. Checked the mail, surprised there wasn't even so much as political garbage, was going to swing by the bank but didn't have time . . .

Today is another day that was microscopically better than the day before for Bob. Or, perhaps I shouldn't say "better than the day before," as that's really not quite accurate; rather, it was another day that showed improvement from the dark days that have hung over us for far too long. Not necessarily better than yesterday, still worse than pre-surgery (again, if that's possible), but better, generally speaking. We got Bob up and out of his room for the first time since he came back to the U a week and a half ago. He and I had lunch in the sunroom on his floor, DQ chicken strips, chocolate malt . . .

I think I said it yesterday, how much I'm looking forward to Bob's return home, to resume eating better, among so many other reasons. But right now, it's a mission to do what we can to jump-start his appetite, get something in him that isn't liquid IV nutrition, and that sounds appealing to him. Unfortunately for me, green smoothies or fresh juices aren't making the cut these days . . . hence, the DQ run. But, the more he eats on his own, the closer he'll be to getting off the TPN, and my hopes that are this junk food period is just temporary, to coax his appetite till his taste for more, real foods returns . . . Today, he ate something for breakfast, lunch and dinner—a first since his surgery (the big surgery, over six weeks ago). Not much for each meal, but it was something.

We got Bob up several times today, either to a chair, his wheelchair, to the bathroom, or simply to the edge of the bed to take his meds. The drop in blood pressure is dissipating as the days go by. His dressing change went without a hitch again today; hasn't had to take much breakthrough pain meds today. . .

I went home midday, to let the dogs out, rake the front yard, finish laundry. Great weather to hang a few loads on the line—I'll take advantage of this weather for that, as long as I can. Love my clothesline . . .Vacuumed the house, sucked up a pair of underwear in the process (ummm, yeah, I s'pose I should explain that one . . . see, the side entry to the house is also our laundry/mud room, and I was vacuuming between the washer and dryer, trying to capture stray leaves that get dragged in this time of year. The moment I realized a pair of skivvies was lodged between the dryer and wall was the same moment the vacuum sucked 'em up and immediately sent out a high-pitched wail, letting me know they hadn't made it all the way through to the dust canister. Had to retrieve the toolbox, take the vacuum partially apart, remove the hose and employ the use of a broom handle to reach the undies . . .), eventually freed the errant panties, finished vacuuming, fed the dogs and back on the road to the U to say "goodnite" to Bob.

I pass a corner out where we live, to and from the U, every day. A wide open lot that could be a lovely natural landscape, a prairie-like stretch, save for the fact that during election year, it gets so clogged with political signs you don't see any one name of any candidate for all the mess. Kind of defeats the purpose, I think . . . My secret fantasy is to dress in all black some night, sneak down to that eyesore of a corner and yank out every last one of those offensive signs, restoring the corner to its natural beauty. . . 'cept that I know the very next day, all the hard work would be for naught, as they'd all be back . . .

On my way home tonight, I thought of the day, sometime in the future, when I'll have Bob in the car with me, bringing him home, making this journey from the U, for the last time. . .

1 comment:

  1. I hope for that day, too, Nenni, where you and Bubo can make a journey in the car together that isn't to the U. or any medical facility, but rather to a place of serenity and beauty, of nature not strewn with, littered with political signs that might not be recycled once they've served their temporary purpose.

    I wish for that journey for you two very much.

    Love to you both. So sorry I didn't get there tonight--got Amelia later from after school care than usual, then home, bath, piano practice, and bed. We'll shoot for Wed. night or Thurs. I have the apples and movies yet. Tell Bubo I'm sorry, too, and we're sending our love, strength and prayers.

    Talk to you soon.
    Much love from the Valley!
    xoxoxoxo
    Jill, Jade, Amelia and babybeanbutterball!

    ReplyDelete