Sunday, June 26, 2011

Hollow life, hollow world

I recently discovered I need not just a new washing machine but a new dryer, too, as both now have a laundry list (ha. get it? laundry list? Man, even while grieving, I'm still punny . . . or not. . .) of issues that I've decided would be best rectified by replacing. Washer leaks all over if I do more than a medium sized load, dryer makes a most hideous screeching sound that both doggies high-tail it to the basement to hide . . .

So my latest pasttime has been researching washers and dryers online, talking to people, making a few stops here and there at appliance stores, to see what's out there, and my first conclusion is that there should only be three models of washers and dryers to choose from. But there's not. See, y'got your front loaders, your top loaders with agitator, your top loaders without agitator, washers with "sanitizing" features, dryers with "steam" features, "smart" machines that automatically fill up with just the right amount of water, based on the weight of your load, delay timers, multiple washing programs, anti-vibration systems, spin speeds that break the sound barrier . . .

Gone are the days of the simple dial and "start" button. Now, washers and dryers look like the cockpit of a 747. I am overflowing (kind of like my washer) with appliance information overload that I'm tempted to say, "hell with it all!" and take to scrubbing my clothes on the rocks in my front garden and hanging them up to dry on the line outside. All year. Even in winter. For the rest of my life. Can't seem to make a decision to save my life these days. . .

This search has been going on a good couple weeks now; today, I took a Sunday drive over to the Roseville area, hit ApplianceSmart and the Sears Outlet center to see what they had in stock, with every intent on whipping out the plastic and walking out with something . . . instead, I talked appliance features with salesmen who reeked of cigarettes, till my eyes glazed over and my head started to not really care which machine had what "latest technology." Suddenly, they all seemed ridiculously complicated, so instead, I asked for brochures, a business card and left. Found myself driving east on Larpenteur Avenue and before I could come to my senses, took a left onto Malvern and drove north till I was at 1901 Malvern, the house Bob lived in when I first met him. I was crying even before I got to the house, and almost didn't recognize it. . . it's had some updates in the 18 or so years since I last saw it, but I could still, easily imagine Bob's sweet little Mitsubishi Eclipse in the driveway, see him standing on the front steps, dressed up for work, long black overcoat, waving good bye to me as I drove back to Winona . . .

I cried the entire drive home, so many memories displacing the tangle of appliance information that had filled my head . . . talking to my mom later, she asked why I did I do that, why do that to myself, drive by his old house . . . I have to, I told her. I need proof that Bob was real, that what we had for 18 years was real, that he had an imprint on this world . . . these tangible landmarks of our life together are what does that for me, even though seeing them suck the breath right out of me, choke my throat, grip my stomach, and I haven't been able to stop crying all day. . .

I met Penny and Jim for lunch in Mankato for Father's Day last weekend, to catch up with them in person, even though I'm sure Jim had no desire to "celebrate" such a holiday . . . I gave him two cute photo frames from Ikea, in the form of a unrolled roll of film (how perfect for Bob!), with spaces for several 4x6 photos. I filled each space with the most beautiful pictures of Bob that I could find, which was a hard job because every picture I have of him is the most beautiful. . . When I went back down to St. James a few days later to see Nancy and her family who were in town for a few days, I noticed the pictures were nowhere to be seen. Not surprised . . . when I was saying goodbye, Jim hugged me tight and thanked me again for coming down for Father's Day and for the pictures. "It's going to be a while before we can put them up," he said quietly, "it's so hard to look at pictures of Bob yet, still seems so unreal . . . " I told him it was okay, that they have to do what's right for them, and if they never put them up, that's okay, too. I just wanted them to have the pictures. . .

Funny, I can't stop looking at pictures of Bob, can't stop reading the beautiful letters he wrote to me, can't stop trying to piece together the husband who was so visciously taken from me so long ago, yet also trying to honor and remember the journey he and I traveled this past year and a half, as well . . . I don't want to forget anything about him, and our life together, but I know I've already forgotten too much. That's why I drive past the Hickory Inn. That's why I drive past 1901 Malvern. That's why I can't stop looking at pictures of my achingly handsome husband. For some, it may seem like self-induced torture. For me, it's to remember. To make Bob real again, to try, somehow, somewhat, to fill the gaping hollow in my heart, my soul, in this world without him.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Nenni,
    I should be sleeping now, but had this feeling you had posted something, so I looked and you had. I am crying now. I understand it's torture to go to those places, to keep seeing him, but I get it, too: to keep him in sight, to keep him near, to not lose touch of him, as I'm sure it feels you have to some degree.

    Bob is so present in our world: we keep him present in our nightly prayers, in the picture of him on our mantle, in the t-shirt of his with the owls I wear to bed, in the other pictures I have of him/of you two/of the dogs; of the pictures he took of me in '93, of the pictures he took for Jade at the wedding in Duluth before he got sick; in the wine we drink--wondering if Bob would like this one; in the food we cook--I'll always think of Bob and something marinading in the fridge; in the birds we see--Amelia always says, "Look, mom. It's Bob," even if a Robin. ;) in guitars and rock n' roll....and so many more ways.

    I'm still thinking of how I can get my "For Uncle Bob" idea rolling--like Alex's Lemondade Stand, but, instaed, neighborhood/family food/drink parties where the donations would go to Beyond the Cure and educate folks about the late term effects of childhood cancer. I found out about this organization about a month ago, and I'm going to contact them to see how I can get involved, what it will take to have a division called "For Uncle Bob" or "Bubo Project", or, if I have to start up my own non-profit to do so. We'll keep Bob's spirit alive, though I know it's not the same. However, he impacted me and my family so much, I feel the need to do something in his memory.

    I know we can't take the sadness or pain away, but we're here whenever you need us. Now that we have the 2nd vehicle, we're there for you whenever you need us, for whatever you need--to make a meal, to help move something, to just hold you and listen to you tell stories about Bob, to look at his beautiful pictures--he is so handsome and photogenic. And, we don't smell like chain-smoking salesmen. Poopy diapers, perhaps, though.


    Love you to the moon and back a million times always, dear sister.

    xoxoxoxo
    Jill, Jade, Amelia, Otto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I still drive by the house I grew up in..the last place I saw my parents. Part of that is to validate that I did have parents. That I did have a "whole" family. I totally understand those feelings of having to do the "drive by". You take care. I'm always thinking of you. Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have to go and do what your heart is leading you to do. Even when it hurts. If that means not being able to look at photos, that's what you do. If it means re-reading and memorizing every detail for fear that something will be lost, then that's what you need. And tears are going to come, they are. Let them. They won't wash away the memories, they'll just let out some of the pain and that's not such a bad thing.

    Let me know if you need anything, even just someone to scream at the sales guy, "Go take a shower, you reek! Then come back and talk like a person and not some sales guy spouting figures and facts. She needs clean clothing, she doesn't need to launch the space shuttle." By the way, a friend just bought one and she said that the best question she asked was, "What one do you have in your house?" She said that answer was more telling to her than all of the goobledy gook about agitators and front load versus top load, etc. Or if you just need to go to the laundramat in the meantime because you've got brain freeze and are running out of clean underwear...

    Take care!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do what you do best Jen....write it all down...all of it so that you never worry about forgetting.
    Always thinking of you
    xoxoxox
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bawling my eyes out reading this... just so PISSED OFF he's gone... it is just NOT FAIR. NOT RIGHT! I want to believe he's still here... with you, where he should be.

    Know I love you... thinking of you ALL THE DAMN TIME... trying to get out of this whole anger stage! DAMMIT ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Love you much.

    xoxoxo Gwennie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jen,

    All roads seem to lead back to the ones we love most... I don't know why I checked your blog today, maybe because I'm alone and feeling lonely on the 4th of July and thought maybe you were, too. But, I'm so glad I checked and discovered in your words, once again, what is real and vital about life.

    It strikes me how your search for machines to clean your clothes led you back to Bob and your grief...there is so much metaphorical meaning to be found in that...but, of course, no answers...

    I know nothing I can say will ease your pain...I am helpless in the face of my own grief in this life, let alone yours. All I can say is how much I admire you, Jen, for having the courage to follow your heart, to feel your feelings, to live in the moment, no matter how painful...you are still my hero and few days go by when I don't say a little prayer for you. And for Bob, who I miss as if I'd known him, though I did not.

    Love and healing to you,

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to think that maybe Bob was guiding you back to the old house that day. Not to cause you more pain, but to remind you that he was real. He was a part of your life. He still loves you very much. And he doesn't want to be forgotten either. Sometimes we just can't explain what makes us choose to drive a certain way, and go past those old memories. Love, Hugs, and Healing from Texas.

    ReplyDelete