Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hospital notes . . .

So, I've been walking around with my sweater on backward all day and just noticed it when I was undressing for bed tonight. Seriously. I need Penny to give me the once-over before I leave the house . . . at least my shoes matched. Bob's hanging in there, at good ol' U of MN. He said today was a flurry of activity—every medical professional in the hospital paid him a visit, the oncologists, interns, phlebotomists, various nurses, PT, OT, EKG tech, nutritionist, dietitian, social worker, palliative care . . . did I forget anyone? So much for getting any rest. As Bob said when he had his heart attack, the hospital is a great place to get patched up, but a terrible place to get any rest. As soon as you start to feel better, he advises, make a run for your own bed!

I got up to the hospital early afternoon, with a bag of crunchy taco supremes from Toxic Hell (aka, Taco Bell). Bob has been craving them since he got here, so I popped over to the TB on Snelling and University and grabbed a few for him. They weren't as good as they sounded (I could have told him that . . .); he ate just one before pushing the bedside table aside. I, because I didn't eat breakfast, inhaled the other two and was quickly reminded why I don't make a run for the border too often. Tasted like . . . ummm, nevermind.

Penny and Jim had been with Bob since at least 10 a.m.; they left Bob and me alone when I arrived . . . while I was there, I saw what he meant about the constant stream of people coming into his room. After about an hour or so, the activity waned, and Bob fell asleep. He was no longer sleeping for ten minutes when I heard a loud voice hollerin' at the door (he's in a double room, farthest from the door, by the way), "Robert! PT is here!" I leaned over to see who owned the obnoxious voice. Jeeze Louise, Bob's rommmate was sleeping, too, for the love of Pete. . . a short, curt woman bustled in and said, "We're here for Robert's PT."

"He doesn't need PT right now. He really needs to sleep."

"We've been trying to get in here all day." I gave her the ol' stink eye and repeated my reply; she gave a big huff, turned around and left. Ooops. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. But, I don't get the whole demand for PT right now, and the constant interruptions by everyone and their grandmother, for that matter. I mean, I get it, in that I know Bob'll benefit from all of at some time, but right now, he needs his rest, he needs pain control, he needs nourishment, he needs fluid and electrolytes rebalanced. PT is the last of his worries, or at least can wait till tomorrow.

They're going to start him on a different pain medication—methadone, and see how he does with that. If it works better than the oxycontin, et. al that he's been taking, then it'll be the new drug of choice. I left a list of demands for Bob to show the oncologist, since it's so hard to time when his doctors are going to be by and when I will be there. I have concerns that I don't feel are yet fully addressed, and maybe that's because I'm not right there, hearing the docs talk. I want to make sure that Bob's pain, nausea and everything else is addressed and improved dramatically before he comes home. He needs to be able to take short walks, get up and about more than he has, and the biggest miracle would be to simply be able to sit. Sit at his desk. Sit in a car, sit on the steps to tie his shoe.

I'm no doctor (and I don't play one on TV), but I've said it once, and I'll say it over and over. The pain is the root of all the issues Bob's having. (well, disregarding the obvious source of the pain . . . not disregarding it, but, ummm . . . you know what I mean . . .) Pain interferes with everything—appetite, sleep, overall mood and feeling well, period. Pain controlled, a chance at a better quality of life. The rest will fall into place. . . if only it were that easy . . . and why couldn't it be?

Once again, eyelids heavy . . .time to sleep. Nite-nite . . .

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Nenni, and nightie-night. Give our kisses and gentle hugs to Bubo, and to you, too, and his parents. Please tell Penny and Jim we think of them always; can't imagine how hard this is for them, too...all of you.

    I'll bring by my lentil/sweet potato stew tomorrow sometime either before or after work. I'll put it on your deck if no one's there. I tried to make corn muffins by scratch, but they're...well, let's just say you'd want to run from these, too, similar to Toxic Hell food. :)

    xoxoxo Much love,
    Jillybean, Jadepur, and Ameliabedelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you absolutely did the right thing in telling the PT to go away since Bob needed his rest. Sometimes they lose perspective on the WHOLE PERSON that they're supposed to be working with. When I worked in the hospital it was not uncommon for me to write in my note "Spouse of patient requested patient be allowed to sleep/rest." She probably had a productivity quotient she wouldn't be able to meet without his time.
    Hang in there Jenny!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen,
    I have to defend PT a bit here, having been a PTA in the hospital setting, if you don't get it done when it's ordered you get yelled at from all sorts of people, HOWEVER- that being said ask the nurses or PT if they could try to coordinate the visit so that it isn't distrupting Bob too much. She can just document in her note that patient was resting. Not a big deal, but they do always have to try. Then ask the PT if they can just show him a few things that he can do on his own. That you and family will make sure that he gets them done. they need to show a little more compassion, hopefully next itme it will be a better PT.

    Have them ccordinate a time if they must, show him what he needs and then get the hell out. :-) IF that doesn't work ask to speak to the head of the department...that usually gets them to back off.
    Please get some rest yourself.
    I hope Bob got some well needed sleep and is feeling some better.
    Take care and no more Taco Bell....ugh :-)
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jodi! I wasn't bashing on pt, or didn't mean to if that's how it came across! It was the manner in which this particular pt acted, and the circumstance at hand - shouting into the room when both Bob and his roommate were clearly resting, evident by the darkened room and then being very disrespectful when I told her he was sleeping. it's a chemo floor, for the love of God!!! She was a big dumb stupid-head! Bob definitely needs pt and OT, as he's very weak, and dietary gidance, just not ALL at once!!! At that time, pain control and managing severe chemotherapy side effects were priorities at hand...All the other stuff could easily have waited for a more appropriate time.

    ReplyDelete