Thursday, January 7, 2010

You Can't Always Get What You Want . . . (a word from our sponsor - Mr. Bob himself!)

Greetings to all!

We're giving Jen the night off in order to rest her working/blogging hand: she is the main bread winner right now - in fact, the only bread winner - and we need those hands working! This will have to be a bit brief - compared to Jen's wonderful way with the pen - as I am only able to stand for short periods of time to type on my home computer, and sitting is not an option. I will try to throw in some emotion angle and flowery prose to all this in the near future, but right now I wanted to fill everyone in on what we know and how we are proceeding.

Yesterday, January 6th, we met with an orthopaedic oncologist at the the U of MN. We expected to know a bit more than we found out, as my biopsy and scans had been forwarded a few days earlier. We're finding out that medicine just doesn't seem to work this way. Yes, they 'need just another day or two' in order to clarify things: to us, it's an eternity. To them, it's being thorough. Measure twice, cut once. This 'cut' may be important, so I guesss they are entitled to a few more days. What I learned was that different types of Sarcoma need to be treated differently, and the course of treatment varies wildly - some respond well to surgery but not to radiation, and vice versa. As always, I told the doc he could start cutting that moment if he found a butter knife in the corner. I am ready, and try to reiterate that thought to all doctors, etc. in a nice, forward manner. So, we hope to have some news today or by Friday. That's all I can really relate right now. My dream is one surgery and it's all done. Sometimes I need to dream a bit.

We're still trying to figure out the 'good cop, bad cop' thing with the doctors. My current state has left me tired and unfocused at times, and Jen doesn't know just how far she should be pushing these people during these meetings. She said it was easy when I was in the induced 'coma' for 4-5 days with my heart attack - she just took charge. Now, I'm actually part of the discussions, (albeit not all there), and she doesn't want to overstep boundaries, get too overly emotional with the docs or try to speak for me if I'm able to myself. She felt rather frustrated and anxious after yesterday's appointment, wondering if she should have turned on the Crazy Wife act again . . . once again, I realize how hard this is on family.

My main issue recently has been dealing with pain and lack of sleep that goes along with this. It's a day-to-day thing. I know it's all wrapped in one, but I feel that I'd be better able to handle the rest of this issue if I had a clear mind (which would come with relief from the pain).

I have lost weight and not much food seems too appetizing to me.

I am - for all purposes - unemployed. I was swiching jobs when this all came about. Just kind of more insult to the injury. (YES, I did purchase health insurance through my previous employer!)

Yes, as Jen has stated many times (and I guess really isn't a secret) - I am a bit more 'private' than most people. But, I did want to offer the following...

*I have asked that phone calls to me be kept to a minumum right now: they still kind of wear me out, and they always come at the wrong time. I found myself getting crabby on the phone with people, and I didn't like it. My phone is 651.336.6625; feel free to call, but please don't be offended if I don't answer, or if I keep it short. . .
*Text messages are great for short notes! I really like them! Please leave an e-mail address if I don't already have yours.
*And, I may have scared some away regarding my personal e-mail. PLEASE use it! This is rjandrzejek@comcast.net

I will answer e-mails on my home computer (a bit tough at times) or on my Blackberry at my convenience. This little device has been very handy lately. Reply e-mails will normally be short on the old Crackberry, but it works surprisingly well. Jen has handled many phone calls and e-mails, and I just don't want her to get overloaded. Now, if I could only teach Rocco how to reply to e-mails...

Also, all the offers of help!!!!! THANKS!!!!! We probably wouldn't have to cook for the rest of the year (and Jen says if she plays her cards right, she won't have to do much of anything for a year . . .) We will let you know if there's anything you can do. The food, the treats, the rides have all been great, and I greatly appreciate all of it, and you!

We'll try to keep everyone updated with the Blog and e-mails. I think you can sign up (on the Blog page) to be notified when additions have been posted to the Blogspot.
Wish we had more to report, but we did think we were a bit overdue for an update.

To your health!
Peace and Love and Good Happiness Stuff!
Bob and Jen

4 comments:

  1. Sending our love to you, Bob, now and always. Amelia says a prayer to you each night, and on Tuesday night after I was tucking her in bed, she said, "Mom, you didn't say my prayers to my angels and Uncle Bob (we pray to her guardian angels each night-Papa Dewey, Jade's brother, my mom's brother and then say "Please watch over Uncle Bob, who needs you all to help him through this."). I did say this part of the prayer, but she was too busy jabbering to Jade or fidgeting about :) that she missed it. So, we HAD to say it once again to ensure she heard it. Thanks for updating us, Bob, and we wish the same for you--that this is removed soon and that you and Jen can hold one another again and you can live pain free once again.

    We're here here for you two in any way.

    Much love and prayers,
    Jill, Jade, and Amelia
    xoxoxoxo

    wwrearwereqewwtrwtrrtrwrrrrrtersarwrrewewrseewrrwrwswrewrdrtedtwetedtrtdgetwtdtreteerweerredrwr
    wsdswrerwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwere45t4w5rywtdueyiefcccyewtetddedytdyetdyeydteyeydttyetdtdetyyt
    love amelia xo (Amelia wanted to "write" you something, too) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob: I'm glad to get the update, I was thinking of you and Jen yesterday. Thought I'd check the blog and here you were! Hopefully, you will get some answers SOON ! My thoughts are with you, and like everyone else, let me know if there is anything at all that i can do for you and Jen. Much Love, Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Yes My hubby Al actually prayed for you Bob.
    The man hates organized religion, but he took the time and said a word for ya. It was almost impossible for him to tell me, it was very emotional for him to be emotional and sad for you.
    Good luck with the docs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob and Jen,
    Bob we don't really know eachother well and have only met once, but through Jen I feel as though I have known you as long as I have her- about 8 years if calculations are right, possibly longer.
    What I know is that you are an amazing man, a fighter and are not about to give up.... and we all know Jen! :-) And love her!
    Thank you both for taking the time and energy to keep us all updated, I can only imagine what a struggle it is for you and the exhaustion, both mentally and physically, that goes along with it all.
    Never back down from those doctors....sometimes they need more time, but sometimes they just don't get what more time means to the person in pain and their famalies. It sounds as though Jen may have scared all the "bad cops" away :-)
    My husband and I have said many prayers since we found out and will continue to do so. Ian, my 14 y.o., who sometimes has a difficult time seeing beyond his world these days has even been saying extra prayers. Bob you would remember Ian as the "other man" about 8 years ago, when he was 6, as the one who brought Jen flowers to work on Valentine's Day :-) Hopefully that got a little smile from you both.
    I'm not going to say "hang in there"... just continue to hang on to eachother - your love and hope and we will all continue to pray and do what we can to help.
    Love and prayers!!
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete