Saturday, February 20, 2010

Roommates! and other thoughts.

OK - I had quite a blog entry written. Tried to save it to do other things. Came back to it a while later, and she was gone. Lost forever. I will try to recreate it here, but I'm upset that I have to do this all again... oh well, here goes:
I do believe the nurses at 7D have a devious plan to give me all the roommates that others reject. Meet my current problem. He doesn't like the room location because it's too close to the nurses' station and that makes it too loud. He complains that the room is way too hot, forgetting that maybe the extra 250 pounds he's carrying might have something to do with that. It's also too light in here. Oh, and the bed is too short. Tonight I found out that he must not understand the concept of how a phone works, as he apparently thinks he must shout into the phone so that his friend in Brainerd will be able to hear him. Wonder how loud he'd go talking to someone in New York ?
Now, he has come up with the ulitmate gripe with this terrible room: "Hey, nurse... how do you expect me to use this toilet when my testicles hang into the water? For point of reference: I do not have this problem.
He would like his own room. I would like my own room. That's probably a given in the hospital. Not so sure why they ever thought double rooms were a good idea. I asked the charge nurse if there was anything I could do to expedite HIS request to get his own room. She looked up and said "Sorry."

Here are some things I'm wondering about as I'm held prisoner here...

*Why does my bed have buttons that read "arm" and "disarm" on the control panel?
*Does anyone see some kind of quirky logic in calling your French toast "Texas French toast?" I mean, aren't these bodies about as far apart on the political spectrum as possible?
*Why do the nurses put on HazMat suits when they handle the chemotherapy drug that they then dump into my body?
* Why does a nurse think that I can piss on command? After asking for a sample and simply standing there, I decided that she meant right now, and I was correct. I told her I just can't do that. She then told she would come back in 5 minutes...
*The U of M's wi-fi at the hospital would not let me access the Poweball home page because it's against their policy on gambling. Reminder to all that the State of MN runs the Powerball here. kinda funny.

Anyway, for the most part I'm feeling fantastic! At least in my little world. I still have the leg pain. I've lost a lot of hair. I get tired easily. I'm having problems regulating my intake and outtake of food (enough here!). Food is still a hit and miss proposition. Etc., Etc., Etc. Yeah, there are problems to be sure. But I just want everyone to know that I do feel like we're making some progress here. I'll keep you all posted on this progress in the coming days.
Love to everyone!
Bob

3 comments:

  1. So nice to hear from you, Bob--forever the critical thinker, even when going through chemo treatments and confined to a hospital! Good points re: gambling/State of MN; Texas French toast, and hazmat suits! :) Wow-you have enough characters, I mean roommates, for a book now (names will be changed to protect the "innocent and not-so-innocent"). We really hope progress is being made, too, and will continue to pray and send love and strength each and every day.

    We all love you much!
    xoxoxo
    Jill, Jade, and Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if you can start some kind of roommate contest... With your loyal army of followers being the judges....I don't know, just seems like such a waste to let all these characters go without something funny happening!
    Plus..... I'm sure I speak for all of us when I ask... When are you going to name the winner of the Caption Contest???


    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, just remember the interesting roomates you used to have....Brian and I!! Maybe you can get a kiddy pool in your room? or maybe paint his car like a holstein! Miss you my friend, I will see you when i am back in town

    Love paul

    ReplyDelete