Monday, December 27, 2010

Third verse, same as the first...

Home barely a week, and we're back at the U, Bob's in ICU... God, I thought we had seen the last of this place ... Writing this from my phone, so forgive the typos...And right now, all I can do is sit and write. Either that or sit and wring my hands at his bedside, which I know would drive him nuts...

Bob had been feeling kind of queasy for the past few days, I took his temp, no fever or any other signs of infection, just a constant upset stomach since Christmas eve, would kind of ebb and flow with intensity, though he said it seemed to be going away yesterday...

Last night, however, the nausea came back, became pretty intense; I grabbed a trash can and set it beside Bob, lying on the couch...suddenly, he started heaving and violently throwing up, all blood, so much blood...he said he immediaty felt better and just wanted to ride it out at home, I said that was BLOOD and LOTS of it, no way....quick call to 911, back to Stillwater ER (we'd just been there a week ago, the day Bob was discharged from the U--i don't think i even wrote about this one--we'd literally just walked in the door, suddenly discovered Bob's wound site was bleeding profusely...went to Stillwater ER, as it would have meant a trip back to the U during rush hour, and god knows how many more hours in the U's ER. Serious as shit, don't EVER go to the U for a real, life-threatening emergency, you'll probably die before you're seen...that bleeding incident was controlled by the great staff at Stillwaters ER, and he was discharged with no more issues relating to that...)

Anyhow, back at Stillwater ER last night, where Bob continued to projectile-vomit straight-up blood, over and over...they had a helluva time getting IVs in him, his veins just kind of collapsed from the sheer loss of blood volume...

Eventually got a few IVs in, given fluids, unit of blood started, then transported to the U, as his hemoglobin was dropping, along with his vitals, skin was cold and clammy to the touch, shivering, color was absolutely drained from his face...just when I'm certain I've seen him at his absolute worst...

Called Penny and Jim, they arrived sometime after midnight, don't even know when....my sis, Jill met me at the ICU unit at the U, to be with me till J&P arrived...didn't do much overnight except to keep fluids and blood running...he continued to throw up until after one, then finally started to settle down...now, this morning, Bob's getting a gi scope, to try to determine where the bleeding's coming from, and if it's stopped or needs to be stopped...gi doc seems to think it's something as simple as an ulcer causing all the bleeding, given the heavy-duty blood-thinners Bob's on, which can both cause the ulcer and the non-stop bleeding...

again, a never-ending balancing act that leaves us frantically trying to figure out what to do, what to do...


4 comments:

  1. Jen, you and Bob are in my prayers. I feel for for you. No one wants to see people they love go through this for any reason at any age. If you need anything at all, please let me know. I can't make a good juice, but I can drive and shovel...Hugs, Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    I honestly don't what to say any more.....I too hoped you were done with the U.
    Ian is off school this week and I am off after Tuesday if you need us to ANYTHING!!! Walk dogs, shovel...anything, please let us know.
    Continued prayers and love for you and Bob.
    xoxoxo
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This f-ing sucks!!!!!!!! I'm so sad Bob is having to endure this -- you, too. Cannot imagine how powerless you must feel. I smiled when he said he wanted to ride it out at home though -- he's so damn tough. WOW. I'm bowing in awe from KS, can you feel it? I hope so.

    Love you guys -- glad he got a recharge with blood/IV -- surely will help him feel better -- hopefully VERY SOON, if not already!!!!!!

    Sending love...

    xoxoxo Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nenni,
    We're here for you always, please let us know what we can do, how we can assist. Please give him our love, hugs, and prayers.
    xoxoxoxo Jill, Jade, Amelia and Otto

    ReplyDelete