Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Retracing footsteps . . .

Man, when do I quit this blog . . . first, before I get all side-tracked, I want to say that I was completely and utterly bowled over and at the same time completely and utterly grateful . . . simultaneously so sick to my stomach and so appreciative . . . thankful yet utterly horrified . . . completely elated and concurrently, completely freaked out by the sight of so many people at Bob's celebration service on Friday, especially given such sort notice. So in awe of the many who were able to attend . . . so very sad for those who couldn't, as well as for those whom I had forgotten to contact due to the frenzied fog in which I now live . . . the "thank you" cards will be a work in progress, so please forgive me for the delay and accept this heart-felt preliminary thank you, from every cell of my being, for being there with us, for us, in person and in spirit . . .

If I looked like the proverbial deer in the headlights during the impromptu receiving lines (yes, lines. Not once, but twice, that day . . . thanks, peeps . . .) it was because I thought I was getting off easy—no way on God's green earth was I going to get up and speak on Bob's behalf, but I had lined up the video presentation (well, technically, my bro-in-law, Brian, lined it up; I supplied all the pics/music for it), I burned hours of Bob's music (that didn't get played in the chaos of the day), I yanked endless, precious photos from my albums for the table displays, I ran around the house gathering things I felt were part of who Bob was, what he loved, what he stood for, what was important, near and dear to him (and forgot a million and one things, in the process). . . I had a ton of help in putting it all together, but all in all, I thought I had done my part and was prepared to sit back and quietly cry during the whole shebang . . .

Then Friday came—the day of Bob's service—and before I knew it, before I could do anything about it, I was swept away in a sea of people, well-wishers (??—is that the right phrase?), old friends, new friends, colleagues, neighbors, family, strangers even, expressing condolences, sharing BobStories, giving hugs and kisses, sharing tears when words failed . . . I seriously did not expect that, in a million and one years. . . I know there were many people who didn't dare brave the endless "receiving line," and thought I don't blame you, I'm sad that I didn't get a chance to at least say "hi" . . .

And now that I've had some time to reflect on the day, I've decided I'm quite sure Bob was hovering, chuckling in a corner of the room, "I told you I didn't want you to make a big deal of this—payback's a bitch, beeyotch . . . " and yes, he called me "beeyotch." A lot. You don't want to know what I called him . . . such precious terms of endearment we had for each other . . . miss that immensely, the laughing and teasing, among a million and one other things . . .

Along with the reflections, I realized (actually, I realized this long ago, but haven't written about it till now) that many of our blog followers, along with Bob's doctors, only knew a very sick Bob. I used to carry with me, to the hospital, a little photo album full of pictures of Bob and his nature photography, and would whip it out any chance I got, when things got really bad, when doctors were being especially assholian (yup, made-up word), or just didn't seem to give a shit, when I was desperate and at the end of my line, to let them know, to see, that my husband was not just a very sick patient, not just an experiment to them but that he was first and foremost a person, a husband, son, brother, uncle, friend, who had passions, interests, a precious life . . . have to admit, it was secretly satisfying, to see the Doctors-as-God squirm, fidget, awkwardly flip through the pages, as I forced them to see Bob, at least to a tiny degree, as a person . . .

I realize that many of you, our beloved blog followers, also don't know my breathtakingly, achingly handsome, wickedly funny, witty, sharp-tongued, infuriatingly intelligent, immeasurably sensitive husband of mine . . . you probably didn't know about his insanely sexy legs (or maybe you did . . . ;), his cutest little squeezable butt (again, maybe you did . . .) or his tender, loving, expressive hands . . . or the liquid chocolate eyes that could drill down deep into your soul . . . and even if you did know any or all of this, it was likely a long time ago that you knew of these things, may have seen him or had any sort of interaction with him . . . I am desperately trying to bring that Bob back to me, with pictures, music, memories, walks at Afton, sunsets from our deck . . . enjoy the photos below (if you click on Bob's picture, it should take you to my Picasa account, where I uploaded many pics of Bob, most of which were used in the video presentation at Bob's service last Friday. . .) Please let me know if you can't access the pictures. Picasa is a new thing to me, and I'm still learning . . .

Took Rocco to Lake Elmo Park on Sunday, renewed our county park permit, went for a long, meandering walk along the trails, got there early enough to avoid many other hikers on Mother's Day. . . today, went to Afton State Park, renewed our state park permit and went on another long run/hike with Rocco. . . so many reminders of Bob along these trails. . . I can pick out specific trees, stretches of prairies, overlooks on the river, old railroad underpasses, tiny spring wildflowers that Bob, the dogs and I have passed a million and one times . . . right now, delicate hepatica are covering the woodland floor . . . also saw flashes of wild oats, swamp buttercup and bloodroot (which were nearing the end of their blooming season) . . . some of the trails at both parks are still closed due to flooding, so tread carefully, should you retrace our paths . . .

Also spent the better part of yesterday and today doing incredibly "grown-up" things, calling insurance companies, mortgage co., credit card companies, bills in Bob's name . . . brought a huge load of equipment and supplies to the Goodwill—wheelchair, commode, walker, canes—they have a "loaner program" where people in need can borrow needed equipment; they also "farm out" medical supplies to relief programs who gratefully take any and all supplies, even those opened, as the third-world countries that are in need have less than nothing and are okay with an opened box of Band-Aids, unlike the rest of the "developed world," with our government-sanctioned, utterly excessive OSHA shit, which adds to the astounding waste and expense of our medical system . . .

In some ways, I feel like I'm slowly wiping Bob out of my life, with every phone call, every effort to do the "grown up" thing, but in a bigger way, I know he's so much more than a bank account, a name on a mortgage or car loan. . . maybe by clearing the clutter, with a walk in a park, I can finally find my way back to Bob. . .

xxoo




9 comments:

  1. I remember the endless hours ( has to be in the thousands) I spent in your chair and he stories you would tell me about Bob and then when I finally got to meet him, he was exactly as I had pictured.....the one thing you had left out though was his amazingly warm voice that lured you into a conversation. How when he talked to you, he "talked" to YOU. Warm, inviting, engaging....and he was that same person at his benefit.
    You are not wiping him out, I think maybe you are sorting through the clutter to get back to the man you fell in love with at the St. Jame's was it?..... :)
    Love you Jen!
    xoxoxo
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, since his cell phone service is still active, I call Bob's voice mail, to hear his voice. Yes, I'm nuts. I already established that ages ago . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about calling his phone to hear his voice, too. If it ever rings and you see my name on caller id... well... just let it go to voice mail...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had known Bob better -- we could have talked F-stops and 80s music and best state parks and a hundred other things rather than brushing past each other by a buffet at some of the birthday parties or other family events. I'd agree with whoever said that the name on the insurance policy isn't Bob, though, it's just another bill. Although I hope 10 years from now when Visa sends you a letter stating that Bob's exceptional use of credit entitles him to... you'll laugh. Because somehow that will happen no matter how many calls you make.

    On an unrelated note, got home, big lump still in throat, and realized that that white piece of paper by the cupholder? That was the card that was supposed to be left at the Memorial Service... So, since all I needed to remember at all was one card, I think you did very well under any circumstance.

    Take care! And maybe you could start a new blog? I think a lot of people will miss the continuing adventures as much as the remembrances.

    PS -- Woke up to this crazy noise Saturday night that turned out to be one of my local foxes warning off an intruder in its space (probably my neighbor's cat, to be honest). In my head, I thought of that amazing photo of Bob's from the Memorial Service. As many things as you erase, little things will bring him back at you. Really.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS 2 -- Just found a soundbyte on-line and it's possible that rather than being threatening, my fox may also have been calling out to his mate... seems that they sound quite a lot the same, but couples know the difference. Go figure. :0)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those photos, Nenni--they capture the many amazing layers of Bob. I do hope you find your way back to Bob, too, even though it will be a difficult journey. I think he will guide you, though. And, we always will be here, too, to assist in whatever way we can. Call whenever. I have the phone by my bed always for you.

    Love you to the moon and back again a million times.

    xoxoxoxo
    Jill, Jade, Amelia, and Otto

    "There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief... and unspeakable love." ~Washington Irving

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen: The memorial service was so touching and said so much about how Bob touched so many people. One of the things that I took away from it was what an incrediable love story the two of you had. He will always be with you and I totally think he was in alittle corner watching everything too... :) Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about keeping the phone around to hear Bob's voice. My grandma left me a message a year ago and I kept it saved for some reason. She just died a month ago, and I am so grateful for her voice on the other end of my phone. Cherie (Carlson) Trondson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could've known Bob -- both well & not so well. I feel as if I know him thru your amazing words & recounts about his awe-inspiring life. THANK YOU for that.

    I also wish I could've been at his services & the benefit. Please know I was there in spirit.

    Love you SO MUCH, girl... please keep the blog going. Your honesty is so refreshing and comforting & HELPFUL to ALL OF US.

    Hugs to you... xoxoxoox Gwen

    ReplyDelete