Monday, May 2, 2011

Longest Days . . .


I have finally run out of words, so I'm going to let the venerable everymanandwoman's poet, Mr. John Mellencamp, speak for me tonight. . .

Longest Days

Seems like once upon a time ago
I was where I was supposed to be
my vision was true and my heart was too
There was no end to what I could dream

I walked like a hero into the setting sun
Everyone called out my name
Death to me was just a mystery
I was too busy raising up Cain

But nothing lasts forever
Your best efforts don't always pay
Sometimes you get sick and you don't get better
Life is short, even in its longest days

So you pretend not to notice
That everything has changed
Way that you look and the friends you once had
So you keep on acting the same

Deep down in your soul
You know you, you got no flame
And who knows then, which way to go
Life is short, even in its longest days

All I got here is a rear view mirror
Reflections of where I've been
So you tell yourself I'll be back up on top some day
But you know there's nothing waiting for you up there anyway

Nothing lasts forever
And your best efforts don't always pay
Sometimes you get sick and you don't get better
That's when life is short, even in its longest days
Life is short, even in its longest days


We are having some long days out here at Wrenwood . . . long, sad days. . . the courageous, humbling, awe-inspiring fight is nearing the end and I don't know if I'll ever stop crying. The suffering has gone on far too long, but I still can't help feeling cheated, oh so cheated . . . please pray that Bob goes peacefully, let him know, in any way you know how, that he doesn't have to fight any longer, tell him that his spirit will enveloped and held tight, with all the love in the world . . .



21 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Jen

    Wanted you to know that Ian did a dedication to you and Bob last night, brought the audience to silence and me to tears.
    Much love and hugs for for you and Bob....and many prayers.
    xoxoxo
    -Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie and Dennis BrugmanMay 2, 2011 at 7:41 AM

    Our heart goes out to you and Bob! There are no words. Just know that we care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending you love~

    E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big hugs, much love.!!!!! Sending peace and strength and love!!!!

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waxing Moon Waning
    Ocean Tides Ebbing, Flowing
    Steadfast, Your Love ... True.

    Praying for your HIGHEST GOOD, Bob and Jen. God's LOVE and LIGHT to ease your pain ... ease the way ...
    ~ Kathryn Morseth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending BIG HUGS.
    You will get through this, you have no choice. Just like our lives...we have no control, we have to do the best with what has been given to us.
    Remember to give the four gifts to Bob.
    He will have no more pain.
    Believe it or not, but you will find peace, you will feel it. Always here for you....
    Love ya.
    Kelly B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob and Jen
    Hugs and love to both of you. You are both surrounded by love and prayers from near and far. Bob-you have fought the fight and both you and Jen have been through far more than anyone should have to endure in a lifetime. We wish you peace at the end of this journey. Please know that we care deeply about both of you and your families.
    Les and Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm here for you, for whatever you need. My heart is so heavy for you, Bob and your families. Love Always and Always, Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen - I'm thinking of you and wishing to ease the burden on your heavy heart. Oh, if I could do anything for Bob, I would. Peace be with you, Bob. Much love, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much love for you and Bob, Jen, so much love... Tears and prayers going out round the clock. For strength, for peace, for comfort. Most especially for peace. Peace. You are both so loved and such gifts of grace in this confusing, often seemingly forsaken world...

    May God, that source of life--whatever form it may be-- bless you with the compassion, love and light that is beyond our humanly comprehension while we dwell here on this earth.

    Peace, strength and comfort now, God. Now. And forever.

    Love,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you both so very much.
    Jul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen & Bob,
    Please know that my love is going to you both!! You are in my heart and prayers.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Buckland family holds you both in thoughts, prayers and love - as we have for the past months. You are an amazing couple. Continue to let your love shine for the world to see.

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayers for peace and I hope you feel love coming from St. James. Millions of prayers have been lifted up for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry, Jen. Thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jen, you've already enveloped Bob in such enduring, steadfast love that anything else from anyone else would pale in comparison. Bob, my hope is that you'll go on, embarking on a new journey through woods and fields and meadows of flowers, free of pain and full of peace. So sad, though. Just so very sad about this all.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. From a Tom Petty song.....

    You and I will meet again
    When we're least expecting it
    One day in some far off place
    I will recognize your face
    I won't say goodbye my friend
    For you and I will meet again.

    Prayers for all or you......
    John and Lisa Becker

    ReplyDelete
  18. My heart is so sad, and I pray for peace and comfort for you Jen, for Bob and your families.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jen, may you and Bob finally find the peace that you both so truly deserve. Give Bob a hug from all of us.

    Duffy

    ReplyDelete
  20. The song says it all... I never got to meet Bob, Jen, but I know him through you and believe his spirit will shine on through all those whom he loved and who loved him. Your love story will live in my heart forever. Please let me know if there's anything I can do. For now, I am praying for comfort and peace to envelop you both ~ Terri

    ReplyDelete
  21. My heart breaks as I read through your blog Jen. I know how much you two loved one another! I have been praying for you for such a long time, and I'll continue to pray for you now as you mourn this loss. May God be your source of comfort, strength, and peace. God will make sure you are surrounded by family and friends who love you!

    Love and Prayers...
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete